Every day, thousands of patients either children or adults are undergoing different heart surgery to resolve the heart disorder. When all possible treatments under medication fail to relieve the symptoms, the only option left for is to search for operative treatment to get rid of the problem.
What is Heart Surgery?
Heart surgeries are performed by the cardiac surgeons. The surgery is undergone to treat the Coronary Artery Disease (CAD), the Congenital Heart Disease, and Valvular Heart Disease. The surgery also includes transplantation of heart. Different heart disease needs different heart surgery.
Why Heart Surgery?
Different types of heart surgeries are undergone to address various issues as under:
- Bypass or widen narrowed or blocked arteries to the heart.
- Replace or repair the valves which are responsible to regulate the blood circulation through the chambers of the heart.
- Create channels in the heart muscles to flow the blood directly from the chambers of the heart.
- Heart’s pumping strength is enhanced with the muscles taken from the abdomen or back.
- Repair bulges in the aorta or an aneurysm that can be fatal when burst.
- Destroy certain tissues of the heart which cause trouble to flow electrical charges through the heart.
- Implant devises to regularize the rhythms of the heart.
- Transplant heart from a donor replacing the damaged one.
What are the Various Heart Conditions?
- Angina Pectoris
- An aneurysm
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Sarcoma
- Congenital Heart Defects
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Heart Murmurs
- Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction)
- High Blood Pressure / Hypertension
- Heart Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Rheumatoid Heart Disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Heart Failure
What are the Types of Heart Surgery?
Heart surgeries to resolve the major heart problems are:
Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting: — this is a common heart surgery performed on the people severely suffering the Coronary Heart Disease (CHD). In CHD patients, a plaque (a fatty substance) is formed inside the coronary arteries, blocking the oxygenated blood to reach the heart muscles. The surgeon takes an artery or a vein from your leg or chest and connects or grafts it to the blocked artery so that oxygenated blood can reach the heart muscles.
Heart Valve Repair or Replacement: — when leaflets don’t open wide and close tightly as they should be to prevent backward movement of blood to the heart’s chamber, such surgery is obviously undergone by the surgeon either to repair the valve or replace it.
Open Heart Surgery: — the approach is rather a traditional open heart surgery. The surgeon opens the chest and if required depending on the type of surgery, opens heart also to bypass the blocked arteries in the heart, replace or repair the valve, and does a heart transplant.
There are many more types of heart surgery performed according to the need of the patients.
India has become the destination for heart surgery to the rest of the world due to the world-class surgical procedure and hospital environment inasmuch as low cost between a range of 1.75 lakh and 4.25 lakh depending on the type of surgery is needed to be undergone.